Review : Jersey Shore
The cast of Jersey Shore
Jersey Shore is MTV’s rebirth of the Real World. The reality show takes place along Jersey Shore’s infamous, Seaside Heights over the summer of 2009. Recently premiered in the UK, just after one viewing, the show has had its fair share of mixed responses. The premise behind the show is to enter the party life-style of a group of twenty something strangers, as they embark on their summer journey, sharing a beach side apartment. While working part-time at the local t-shirt store, for the landlord. Let the conflicts, controversy and cocktails commence.
The eight Italian-American ‘Guido’s’ and ‘Guidette’s', a stereotype they have self labelled each other, have been carefully picked by MTV bosses to represent the best summer anyone can have. To be a Guido or a Guidette you must meet the criteria; tanned, muscular (boys only), well pampered, long dark hair (Girls only) and wear the skimpiest outfits in existence, alongside being Italian. And I can reassure you, this cast has it all down to a tee.
- Paul ‘Pauly D’ Delvecchio, a 28 year old DJ from Johnston, Rhode Island. This self-confessed high maintenance muscle man owns his very own tanning bed and a life-time supply of hair gel and promises that after a night out, your girlfriend will be leaving after him.
- Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi. Poughkeepsie’s prima donna princess.The 21 year old self proclaimed ‘Guidette’ is on the hunt for her perfect ‘Guido’. Her small frame is defiantly not a reflection on her attitude, as this girl proves she can bark the loudest.
- Mike ‘The Situation’ Sorrentino, New Jersey’s very own answer to Mr Vanit. A 27 year old assistant manager of a fitness centre, with the body to prove it;
- Sammi ‘Sweetheart’ Giancola – New Jersey’s sweetest bitch you’ll ever meet;a 22 year old singleton, on the prowl to pull any ‘Guido’ see she fit.
- Vinny Guadagnino, from Staten Island, New York, is a 21 year old soon to be law student and mummy’s boy who refuses to fit into the stereotypical self indulgent ‘Guido’ Category. However does have the attire and physique to gain him a membership. He does however call himsel a ‘Guido’ bringing a new definition to the term.
- Jenni ‘JWwow’ Farley, a 23 year old typical ‘Guidette’ from Long Island who describes herself as a ‘preying mantis’, when it comes to men. Although in a relationship, she doesn’t seems very optimistic that it will last while on the Shore.
- Ronnie Oritiz, from the Bronx. He’s vowed that he will not fall in love whilst on the Jersey Shore but will not shy away from female attention.
- Angelina ‘Jolie’ Pivarnick, Staten Island’s wanna be ‘Kim Kardasian’ is a 22 year old Bartender currently riding the relationship train, but is ready to get off at any time. She sees the shore as a test of trust for her and her boyfriend, but mainly her.
Episode one saw all the cast meet up at the summer share and finalise the sleeping arrangements, alongside the landlord/boss laying down the ground rules, one of which was to not show up late for work. the party was underway. Snooki, a name the group fail to remember calling her Snickers, becomes the first to make trouble. Drinking enough units of alcohol to match the whole group, she tries it on with every housemate, which fails, then spends the rest of the night sulking and through tantrums finally deciding she wants to leave. Love blossoms between Sammi ‘Sweetheart’ and Mike ‘The Sitatuation’ but then he gets himself into a compromising situation involving 3 strange girls and a hot tub. This causes conflict between all the house mates and leaves Sweetheart’s heart not so sweet. She turns her atention onto fellow housemate, Ronnie. After failing to show up to work on time, because she was recovering from the night before, Snooki is given a warning. She is left contemplating her departure from the Shores, an idea that a few housemates are happy about.
So there you have it, The Jersey Shore’s unique eight. From here on out the ride doesn’t seem smooth, just how we like our reality TV specials to be. Now that’s quality addictive television.
You can catch the next instalment of Jersey Shore on MTV on Saturday at 10pm. If you missed the first episode you can view it on the MTV website.